There are plenty of reasons why foreigners move to the United Arab Emirates. The most popular reason is an affordable luxurious lifestyle, low crime rates and great investment opportunities.
The authorities of the United Arab Emirates create comfortable living conditions in the country for foreigners. Therefore, many want to move to the United Arab Emirates and obtain a residence permit in the country.
In this article, Emirates.Estate explains how to get a residence permit in the UAE in 2021, how to apply for a residence permit in the UAE, what benefits gives you a residence permit in the UAE, what are the grounds for obtaining a residence permit, what types of residence visas the UAE offers, where to apply for a visa and other useful tips.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- How to get a UAE resident visa in 2021
- Types of residence visas in the UAE
- How to apply for a resident visa
- Where to apply for a visa
- Required documents for a residence permit
- Benefits of obtaining a residence permit
- We will help you choose a villa or an apartment in the United Arab Emirates!
If you are going to move to this country, then you will need to apply for a resident visa. A residence visa is a permission to enter the country and stay here for a certain period. What are the benefits of a residence visa in the UAE?
- It grants the right to stay in the United Arab Emirates for two or three years, depending on the basis on which you are issued a visa.
- A visa gives the owner equal rights with local residents. However, there are some restrictions. For instance, an expat with a residence visa cannot be gifted a land plot (as a wedding present). On the other hand, foreign businessmen who run a business in the United Arab Emirates are exempt from taxes.
- With a residence visa, you visit the UAE at any time, but you should remember that the period between visits should be no more than 180 days.
- If the income of the holder of a residence visa is more than AED 10,000 per month, they have the right to bring their entire family to the UAE, without having to apply for a separate visa for each member.
HOW TO GET A UAE RESIDENT VISA IN 2021?
There are several ways of relocating to the UAE. Some of the examples include:
- Marry a resident of the United Arab Emirates.
- Invest money in the UAE economy.
- Study at a university in the UAE.
None of these options gives the right to obtain citizenship, but marriage with a resident, work, study in the country, as well as investment in the country's economy make it possible to obtain a residence permit in the UAE.
There are several types of residence visas in the UAE: a visa by property investment, business investment (opening your own company), a student residence visa and work visa.
- Buying a property in the United Arab Emirates, which costs at least $270,000, you can apply for a residence visa, which allows you to stay in the country for two years. If you do not violate any visa regulations, then you can renew your visa. The holder of a residence visa is not allowed to work in the United Arab Emirates, however their monthly income must be at least AED 10,000 or approximately $2,700.
- If you launch a company in a free economic zone in the UAE, a zone with no taxes and ideal conditions for running a business, you get the opportunity to apply for a residence visa. However, to do this, you have to invest in the country's economy at least AED 70,000 or $19,000, and the investor has the right to work only in their own company. If you are not going to purchase real estate in the United Arab Emirates, which costs at least $270,000 or do not have an opportunity to run your own business in the country, you can enrol at a local university or apply for a job in a UAE company to get a student or work visa.
- Studying at a university in the Emirates allows you to obtain a residence permit. To apply for a course in a UAE college or university, you will need to provide your IELTS or TOEFL test results. You should also keep in mind that in many schools you are required to pay for the whole academic year, which is from $5,000 to 10,000, depending on the university. It is also worth mentioning that, having a student visa, you are not allowed to work in the UAE.
- A work visa for an individual is requested by a company officially registered in the United Arab Emirates. If you receive a work visa, you can work only for this company. You can apply for a work visa if you confirm your qualifications.
How to apply for a residence visa? You need to collect the required papers and submit them with a visa application to apply for a residence permit in the United Arab Emirates.
Where to apply for a visa?
You can apply for a residence visa in the United Arab Emirates on the website of the Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship or through the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs.
You can submit an application for a new visa or renewal of an existing visa through the online portal eChannels.
The General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs (GDRFA) website allows you to submit an application online and choose which emirate your online application will go to, for example:
- Abu Dhabi - GDRFA (Emirate of Abu Dhabi);
- Dubai - GDRFA (Emirate of Dubai);
- Sharjah - GDRFA (Emirate of Sharjah);
- Ajman - GDRFA (Emirate of Ajman);
- Ras Al Khaimah - GDRFA (Emirate of Ras al-Khaimah);
- Fujairah - GDRFA (Fujairah).
Moreover, there are mobile applications through which you can also submit an application for a residence permit in the UAE or a resident visa:
- ICA UAE eChannels for Android and iOS;
- GDRFA Dubai app for Android and iOS.
In addition to online submission, you can apply offline at:
- Official typing centers where you can apply for a GDRFA visa in a certain emirate.
- Amer service centers where visas and entry permits are issued.
Required documents for a residence permit in the United Arab Emirates include:
- a valid passport;
- a completed visa application form;
- three color photographs, size 3x4;
- documents for a child or children, if you are bringing them to the UAE;
- documents proving the basis for obtaining a residence permit in the United Arab Emirates;
- a receipt confirming the payment of the consular fee;
- statements of income of an applicant;
- marriage certificate for women who want to obtain a residence permit in the UAE, but are going to stay in the country without a husband.
All of the above documents must be photocopied, certified at a notary office and translated into English or Arabic. The translated papers must also be sealed and signed by the notary.
Grounds for obtaining a residence permit
Residence permit in the UAE by property investment
We have already mentioned in this article the grounds for obtaining a residence permit in the UAE. However, you should keep in mind that each of them gives the right to apply for a residence visa for different periods, for example:
- Highly qualified specialists and investors who have invested in the country's economy at least AED 10,000,000 (about $3,000,000) can apply for a 10-year residence permit in the United Arab Emirates. You can make an investment by building your own company from scratch or by developing a group of companies with a new or already operating enterprise in the UAE.
- For a five-year residence permit in the Emirates, you need to invest in real estate at least AED 5,000,000 (about $1,500,000).
- A residence visa for a period of three years can be obtained by those who have purchased real estate worth at least AED 1,000,000 (approximately $270,000). To apply for a residence permit in the UAE for three years, an investor must provide documents confirming that their monthly income is at least AED 10,000. In addition, an applicant should remember that they can buy a property only in Dubai and this property cannot be pledged in order to be able to apply for a residence permit.
- A three-year visa in the United Arab Emirates, costs from $3,500 to $4,000 and a visa holder can renew this type of visa. If you have a three-year residence visa, you cannot spend more than six months in a row outside the country.
- A resident visa issued for six months is similar to a guest visa, but unlike the latter, it gives the right to enter the country multiple times within six months. To apply for this type of visa, you need to invest in a property worth at least AED 1,000,000 (which is about $3,000,000) in any emirate.
How long is the residence permit valid? It depends on the basis on which the residence visa was issued. The government is trying to attract investors to the UAE ensuring a residence permit in the United Arab Emirates for a period of six months to ten years.
The benefits which a residence permit gives you are indicated in the above section of this article "How to obtain a residence permit in the UAE in 2021?". In general, we can say that a residence permit ensures you plenty of benefits.
Find you dream house for sale in the UAE today! Emirates.Estate has collected the best properties for sale in the United Arab Emirates! Our experts will help you find and buy your dream apartment in the UAE and arrange paperwork. Emirates.Estate makes buying an apartment in the UAE as safe and easy as possible.